Unit 26 & 2: Task 4 and 5
You are designing a SOHO solution for your office
You have created 2 solutions a budget one and a deluxe one and a room layout off how this is setup.
You present this to your small business adviser and he accept it but then tells you of a opportunity that has arisen. An angel investor is wishing to invest upto 100K in a small business. The investor has a keen interest in gadgets and web enabled devices.
So looking at your setup how could you scale it so this investor can invest in your business (and get a significant shareholding, image Dragon's den concept).
So now give another solution that would looks professional, has lots of kit, bigger area, more staff.
So now consider one more staff member ( a sales assistant and tech support in one..)
Double the size floor area, more than double the gadgets.
Cost of setting up a website and marketing (do some research).
Also what about supporting your customers once they have purchased a device ?
Then think about maintenance. With all these gadgets and kit it needs to be looked after. All have software (IOS / Andriod / windows / linus / mac OS) all need updating from time to time.
How would you do this?
Why would you do this?
How would you deal with a customer with a problem with a gadget you bought from you?
Include the following:
- Devices: number of connected devices; anticipated participation
- Bandwidth: average load; peak load; local Internet availability; cost constraint
- Users: quality expectations; concept of system growth
- Applications: requirements eg security, quality of service
- Communications: considerations eg suited to devices, suited to users, lifestyle preferences, commercial requirements
- Scalable: considerations eg supporting device growth, supporting additional devices, bandwidth use trend change
- Security: considerations eg addressing policy, device participation, firewall rules, encryption preference
From the report create a A4 sized layout now, with equipment laid out and also for each device proposed IP addresses of devices. In small group set this up in the lab (Obviously you don't have IOT devices, but use you imaginationation and set what you can up).
How long would this take to setup? (use your notes from this practical session)
How can you test it? (show some tests, suggest some tests, use practical and theory for this)
The tests should consider the following:
• Internet access.
• Security considerations and addressing,
• Firewall settings.
• Suggest how internet of things devices could connect to this mock setup
This covers :-
LO4: Be able to support small or home office networks
4.1 discuss future improvements for the small or home office network
4.2 design a maintenance schedule to support a small or home office network.
LO4 : Be able to undertake routine maintenance on computer systems
4.1 perform routine maintenance tasks on a computer system.
4.2 upgrade the software and hardware on a computer system.
LO4 : Be able to develop strategies for problem solving
4.1 review tools and methods for developing solutions to problems
4.2 develop an appropriate strategy for resolving a particular problem
4.3 evaluate the potential impact on the business of implementing the strategy.